The Minnesota Learning English for Academic Proficiency and Success (LEAPS) Act defines SLIFE as an English learner with interrupted formal education who:
- Comes from a home where the language usually spoken is other than English, or who usually speaks a language other than English.
- Enters school in the United States after grade 6.
- Has at least two years less schooling than the English learner’s peers.
- Functions at least two years below expected grade level in reading and mathematics.
- May be preliterate in the English learner’s native language.